About

A Brief Early History.

Although the early history of the Hatchet is clouded by the mists of time, most records put the first use of the hatchet as a licensed premises in 1606, making it one of Bristol’s oldest hostelries.

Before, the Hatchet stood as Frogmore farm and monastery, giving its name to the street in which it now stands.

Indeed, it is thought the Clifton Wood crept right down the slopes of the hillside to the very edge of Frog Moor and that the inn was a favorite meeting place of the woodcutters of Clifton Wood and that it is from this association that the inn takes its name.